Main Content

Transfer Procedures

Students who are maintaining their J-1 status are allowed to transfer from one DHS approved school to another, as long as the original objective is the same. There are important procedures required by both schools to keep students from falling out of status.

J-1 Transfer-In Procedures for Students Transferring to ACU

  • Please contact the Office of International Students and Visiting Scholars (OISVS) at ACU for details on required documents for exchange visitors or scholars.
  • Discuss the transfer process with the international advisor at your current school. Be sure that you have completed your employment by the release date at your current school. Discuss with your advisor any travel plans you have that could require your new DS-2019 to reenter the U.S.
  • Print out the ACU transfer form, and fill out the student portion.  Request your current school’s international advisor to complete the form and return it to the OISVS at ACU.
  • The OISVS will require a copy of your current DS-2019, I-94, passport and visa.
  • Once the OISVS has received all the required documents and sufficient financial proof has been shown, a new DS-2019 will be issued.
  • Enroll as a full-time student and report to the OISVS within the first 15 days of class.
  • Failure to enroll as a full-time student and report to the OISVS within the first 15 days of class will result in the student being out of status with the Department of Homeland Security and may subject a student to deportation.

J-1 Transfer-Out Procedures

  • Discuss the situation with the RO/ARO at the OISVS to determine whether you would be able to transfer to another university as per your program requirements.

Disclaimer: The OISVS makes every attempt to provide accurate immigration advice for J-1 students. The information on our website is general and should not be taken as legal advice. Please contact an immigration attorney if legal advice is needed. It is your responsibility to understand and follow the rules given by DHS and the University.