Getting a Driver's License

Drive legally and safely in Texas as an international student.

Drive legally and safely in Texas as an international student.

Main Content

IMPORTANT Information

Prepare the Paperwork

It is important that you bring all of the required forms, identification and immigration documentation with you when you go to the DMV.

You will need:

  • Original I-20
  • Passport (unexpired)
  • Visa
  • Most recent I-94
  • Proof of Texas Residency

If you live on campus:

  • Bring a notarized letter from the reslife housing coordinator ( written on ACU letterhead certifying your physical on-campus address and verifying that you receive your mail at the ACU mail office (include your ACU BOX address) and a copy of your ACU transcript from the Registrar with the same physical address as listed on  the notarized letter.

If you live off campus:

  • provide any two of the following documents with the same address on both documents:
    • Bank statements dated within 90 days
    • Mail from a government agency dated within 90 days 
    • W-2 or 1099 tax form from the current year
    • Paycheck or pay stub dated within 90 days 
    • Utility bill dated within 90 days
    • Current renter’s or automobile insurance policy or statement 

Meet the Requirements

Texas state law requires the following before you can obtain a full driver’s license.  

  1. All applicants must prove completion of one of the following:
  2. Some applicants are required to show proof that they have completed a driver’s education course.
    • Applicants over 25 years do not need this.
    • Applicants 15-17 years must complete a driver’s education course for teens to earn a Texas learner’s permit
    • Applicants 18-25 years of age must complete a 6-hour driver’s education course for adults. 

For more information, visit 

Make your TDPS Appointment

Schedule an appointment with the Texas Department of Public Safety.
First time driver’s license applicants can schedule an appointment online. When scheduling your appointment online, if you do not currently have a social security number, enter all 1s (111-11-111).

Need a ride?
If you need a ride to the Abilene Department of Public Safety, you may fill out our Transportation Request Form. Please be informed that transportation requests must be submitted 48 hours in advance.