About Alpha Scholars
Alpha Scholars exists to partner with students with disabilities to ensure they have access on campus.
What We Do:
- Partner with students with disabilities to make sure that their needs are met during their time with ACU.
- Implement, coordinate and manage the reasonable accommodations process.
- Oversee the accommodated testing center.
- Provide education and consultation to students and their families as they make the transition to the college environment.
- Provide education and training to faculty and staff to increase awareness of the needs of students with disabilities and better equip them to meet those needs.
- Connect students to campus resources such as the library, the MACC, assistive technology, and more!
- Serve as a place of community and connection for students with disabilities.
What is a disability?
The ADA defines disability as “a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, a person who has a history or record of such an impairment, or a person who is perceived by others as having such an impairment.” Institutions of higher education are required to provide ‘reasonable accommodations’ to level the playing field for students who meet the criteria for having a disability.
What is a ‘reasonable accommodation?’
Simply put, reasonable accommodations are modifications or adjustments to the tasks, environment or to the way things are usually done that enable individuals with disabilities to have an equal opportunity to participate in an academic program (U.S. Department of Education, 2007). Some examples of reasonable accommodations are things like alternative texts (audio books), extended time on exams, and note taking assistance.
Ready to get started with Alpha Scholars? Click here! We can’t wait to serve you.