Are you ready for the challenge?
Complete the form to learn more about earning a degree in music and becoming certified to teach instrumental music at all levels.
The ACU Department of Music provides a welcoming liberal arts experience rich with cultural, social and intellectual diversity in a Christian environment. We desire to graduate informed and inquisitive musicians, who embrace diverse musical styles and cultures while pursuing a career in a rapidly evolving field.
B.M. degree with Instrumental Teacher Certification Details
These are the important details you will need to keep in mind as you prepare your application and degree plan.
University Requirements: 56 credit hours +
Major Requirements: 60 credit hours (choice of 5 tracks) +
Electives: 12 credit hours
Total Required: 128 credit hours
- Advanced Theory: Sight Singing and Ear Training
- Intermediate Conducting
- Band Methods: Marching Techniques and Wind Culture
- Professional Practice in Music Education
Early Application Deadline
Learning from the Best
As you hone your talent both in and out of the classroom, you’ll be guided by experienced Christian faculty with years of practical and professional experience. Our faculty have performed, taught and presented research all over the world. They are active members of the Texas Music Educators Association, in addition to a variety of both state and national music organizations.
Here are some hands-on learning and performance experiences you can enjoy while earning your music degree:
- Study Abroad program in Leipzig, Germany
- Prestigious guest artist concerts and master classes
- Tours with student ensembles
- Attendance at conferences such as TMEA, NATS, CBDNA and NCUR
- Service opportunities such as The Disney Outreach Show, Christmas for Kids and Brown Bag Concerts for children in the community
The Williams Performing Arts Center provides music and theatre students an exceptional venue for academic study, artistic growth and performance. The center includes:
- A 282-seat Recital Hall acoustically “tuneable” to accommodate the performing artist(s) and number of patrons
- Large instrument and choral rehearsal halls
- 44 acoustically treated practice rooms and faculty studios
- The 325-seat Lewis and Jerry Fulks Theatre, a thrust-stage facility designed to the Theatre Department’s specifications with the help of acoustical and theatre consultants
- A piano lab featuring 16 digital pianos
In addition to being certified to teach in public and private schools, a bachelor’s degree in music offers a wide range of exciting careers, including:
- Band, orchestra or choir director
- Vocal coach
- Studio musician
- Private lesson teacher
- Church music director