Master of Science in Social Work
These are the important details you will need to keep in mind as you prepare your application and degree plan.
Program length 2 years
Credit hours 64
Current tuition per credit hour $1,291
- Diversity, Power, and Oppression
- Policy Analysis and Practice
- Management and Funding for Nonprofit Organizations
- Leading and Managing Change in Nonprofit Organizations
School of Social Work
*Fall Priority Review
Preferred consideration for Graduate Assistantships, Scholarships and Field Placements
Fall Standard Review
May 1 (deadline may extend if space is available)
Please contact the Office of Graduate Programs (email@example.com or 325-674-2656)
About the Program
The mission of the ACU’s Master of Science in Social Work program is to prepare students for professional leadership and ethical advanced generalist social work practice with an evidence-based emphasis. Students will effectively address the biological, psychological, sociological and spiritual dimensions of human well-being and promote diversity, equity, inclusion and justice across system levels in domestic and international community contexts.
- Complete the online application;
- Pay the $65 application fee;
- An official transcript(s) in English (or translated to English) of all previous colleges attended. The transcript must indicate an earned bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university or equivalent;
- A cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale;
If undergraduate GPA is below 3.0, the GRE or MAT entrance exam may be required.
Our GRE code is 6001
- Two letters of recommendation (may be submitted through the online application);
- A personal statement addressing your motivation for graduate studies and entering the social work profession, including reflections on the four themes of the ACU School of Social Work:
- evidence-based practice;
- the gift of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging;
- spirituality and social work;
- social justice;
- A writing sample in the form of a formal graded senior level assignment of at least five pages from the student’s undergraduate work (or acceptable alternative);
- While the standard program accepts students with a bachelor’s degree in any field, students are expected to demonstrate a broad liberal arts background, including two courses from each of the humanities/fine arts, and communication/language. A course in statistics is highly desirable.
Make a Difference
The first year of the program introduces important ideas and concepts that are at the heart of what it means to be a social worker and to engage in evidence-based practice. The second year concentrates on evidence-based social interventions with systems of various sizes. Students also spend a significant amount of time in the ACU MSSW Field Education and Practicum. The passion to be a voice for those with no voice led Leticia Cisneros (’15) to pursue her MSSW.
First-Hand Field Experience
At ACU, our Master’s in Social Work curriculum gives students unparalleled field placement opportunities specifically designed to fit their interests, outside commitments, and future career goals.