Main Content

Caitlin Winegeart ('11) | Master of Accountancy

Enlarge

caitlin-winegeart
Caitlin Winegeart ('11), Master of Accountancy
Graduate accounting student from Abilene, Texas
Caitlin Winegeart’s internship at Wal-Mart’s headquarters paid off nicely with a job waiting for her when she completed her Master of Accountancy degree.

Q&A with Caitlin Winegeart

I once heard it said that not everyone is comfortable walking into a church building, but everyone goes to work. With this in mind, there is no better mission field than the workplace.

Tell us about your internship.

For two summers I worked at Wal-Mart’s corporate headquarters in the Global Internal Audit Services department. Each intern was assigned to an existing audit and treated as if they were a staff auditor. I worked on the Global Sourcing Factory Audit. I helped assess risk, document the current process and test the effectiveness of specific controls in the Ethical Sourcing department.

What was your favorite part of the experience?

Being a part of such a large, international company meant there was a lot of diversity in the associates who worked there. It was very rewarding to interact with people from all over the globe and from all different walks of life. This, combined with the opportunity to work on projects that aligned with my strengths, made it a great experience.

Did you feel prepared when you began the internship?

Knowing I was interning for the #1 retailer in the world, I was initially very nervous. However, our first few weeks were spent attending on-boarding training that equipped us with the knowledge we needed to complete our assigned tasks. Once our projects began, I was very satisfied with the level of preparation my education at ACU gave me to function in a competitive environment. In addition to the foundation of accounting classes, my general business classes helped me put my project in context of a broader business perspective.

What has been your impression of COBA?

I feel that COBA helped equip me with the tools I need to have a successful career. I could not ask for better professors who care about me on an academic and personal level. Being a student of a nationally ranked accounting program has also given me confidence in the quality of education I am receiving. In addition, COBA has developed many innovative classes, such as Global Apprentice and Leadership Summit, that you cannot find anywhere else.

Learn more about the College of Business Administration.
Learn more about the Master of Accountancy.

SHARE: [Sassy_Social_Share type="standard"]