Financial Aid Counseling

Student Services

Main Content

Wildcat Central

McGlothlin Campus Center

For immediate assistance, you may contact Wildcat Central to speak with a Student Services Professional at (325) 674-2300.

Prospective Students and Families

If you are visiting campus and have financial aid or scholarship questions, please visit the Admissions Office in the Hunter Welcome Center.

Current Students

Current students may make an appointment to meet with a Financial Aid counselor at Wildcat Central.

Meet Your Financial Aid Counselors

financial aid counseling

John Mark Moudy

Assistant Director of Student Services
(Helping 1st Generation and International Students)
Location: 126E
Office: 325-674-4844

financial aid counseling

Yulissa Rios

Assistant Director of Financial Aid Counseling
(Helping A-K students)

Location: 126F
Office: 325-674-4845

Rocio Toon

Financial Aid Counselor/Student Services Specialist
(Helping L-Z Students, Military and Graduate Students)

Location: 126G
Office: 325-674-6739

Questions and Answers

Paying My Bill

1. What are the different ways I can pay my student’s bill?
You can pay either online (see question 2) or physically through Wildcat Central. We accept cash, checks and money orders at the front desk in Wildcat Central. We cannot give change for cash transactions. Checks and money orders can be mailed to 1694 Campus Court, ACU Box 27940, Abilene, TX 79699 and made out to Abilene Christian University. Please include the student’s name and ACU (Banner) ID number in the memo.

2. How can I pay the bill online?
Your student will need to add you as an Authorized User on their Wildcat Pay Portal. As an Authorized User, you can make payments, see account activity and access statements. To add an Authorized User, your student should follow these steps.

  1. Click Helpful Links in the top right of any page on our website (
  2. Click on MYACU.
  3. Once logged into their MYACU account, they need to click on Wildcat Pay Portal under Accounts and Balances on the home screen.
  4. Once in the Wildcat Pay Portal, they need to click on Authorized Users on the right-hand side.
  5. Then click on the Add Authorized User tab and input the parent’s email address.

You will have a separate login than your student. Once your account is created, you can visit and click on the Authorized User Portal link to access your login.

The different payment methods available online are ACH, credit card, bank wires and flywire.

3. Are there payment plans available?
Yes, we offer 6 month, 5 month and 4 month plans. Please visit to see enrollment fees, installment due dates and the deadline to enroll into a plan.

You must enroll in a payment plan every long semester. Re-enrollment is not automatic.

4. What happens if I miss a payment on the payment plan?
You will be charged a late fee of 1.242% on the entire unpaid balance.

5. What happens if I can no longer afford the monthly payments on the payment plan?
Please reach out to your student’s financial aid counselor so they can see what options are available. If you do not know who your student’s financial aid counselor is, please email

6. What if I overpay or my student has a negative balance?
Your student will be issued a refund for the difference (unless you have a Federal Parent PLUS loan and indicate you want the refund). They can either receive the refund electronically or as a check in the mail. To receive the refund electronically (direct deposit), your student will need to log into their Wildcat Pay Portal and select Electronic Refunds on the right-hand side. If this is not done, then a check will be automatically mailed to the local address ACU has on file.

7. When are refunds issued?
We will start issuing refunds the 2nd week of school.

8. How do I make a payment out of my 529 account?
Checks can be mailed to 1694 Campus Court, ACU Box 29007, Abilene, TX 79699. All charges at ACU qualify as educational expenses. Please include your student’s name and ACU (Banner) ID number in the memo. Note: If you want to set up a payment plan, and use your 529 account to make the monthly payments, please email

9. What is financial settlement?
The date that you have to meet your financial obligation for the semester. By August 2nd, ACU must know your financial game plan for the Fall semester. You can meet financial settlement by either paying the remaining balance (after financial aid) in full, enrolling in a payment plan, or being approved for a loan that will cover the account balance. Fall and Spring have separate financial settlement dates.

10. What happens if I do not meet the August 2nd financial settlement date?
Your student may be dropped from their classes and they will not be allowed to move into the dorms until they are financially settled.

11. What is FERPA? How is it different from an Authorized User?
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act or FERPA, are Federal laws designed to protect student information. Abilene Christian University cannot – except in certain limited situations – release grades or other personally identifiable information to any person other than the student without a written release from the student. Essentially, a student can designate a FERPA User(s) on their account who will have access to their financial information, grades, classes and personal information. This differs from an Authorized User, in that, the Authorized User only has access to financial information (account activity, statements, etc.). Students can add a FERPA User by reaching out to who will provide the necessary documentation. If you are designated as a FERPA User, and want to know your student’s grades, classes and personal information, please call Wildcat Central at 325-674-2300 or the student’s Academic Advisor as this information is not available online.

12. Who can I contact with questions?
Please reach out Wildcat Central at or 325-674-2300.

Back to Top


1. If I receive a scholarship or grant will my need-based aid be affected?
The federal government requires that scholarships and grants be applied to your eligibility as calculated by the FAFSA. Any additional funding you receive from any source may require an adjustment to your eligibility for federal or state aid. If adjustments are made, you will receive a revised award letter.

2. Are scholarships awarded for one year or are there scholarships that are guaranteed for all four years?
A number of scholarships, particularly those awarded on a merit and need basis, are awarded annually. Scholarship awards made on a merit-based basis are generally renewable for subsequent undergraduate years provided you maintain the required ACU grade point average. Most scholarships are renewable for a total of eight (8) consecutive semesters of undergraduate enrollment.

3. Are there scholarships that currently enrolled students can apply for?
Yes. Many academic departments award scholarships to current students. Check with your department for more information on how to be considered for any scholarships they might have available.

4. Are scholarships awarded for study abroad programs?
There are no scholarships specifically awarded for study abroad programs.

5. If I get a loan from one place, will that disqualify me for other loans or grants?
Since loans are part of the total financial aid package, they are offered after grant eligibility has been determined. It is possible to receive loan funds from more than one loan source.

6. Are loans available that can be repaid after graduation?
There are several deferred loan options. A student should apply for financial aid and determine additional loan options once a financial aid package has been offered.

Back to Top

Work Study  

1. I’ve been awarded work study. What does that mean ?
The Work-Study program is an employment program offered through the government for students who qualify for financial aid. Work-Study is not a guarantee of employment. It is the student’s responsibility to find employment.

2. How much are students paid under the work-study program? Are they paid with a check or are the earnings subtracted from the college bill?
Students participating in the work-study program are paid no less than minimum wage. Students receive a paycheck twice a month (if payday falls on a weekend or holiday, payment will occur on the previous Friday) for the hours actually worked during the pay period, up to a maximum of 25 hours per week. For further information regarding employment see the Jobs on Campus available at

3. Can I get a job on campus if I have not been awarded work study?
Yes. There are employment opportunities on campus in various offices or departments. Jobs on Campus are posted on the Human Resources website at, click on “Employment”, then “Student”.

Back to Top

Questions about Financial Aid

1. I’m not sure whether I will qualify for need-based aid. Is it worth my time to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?
Yes. We recommend that all students file the FAFSA. You can’t assume that you will or will not qualify for aid based on your family income alone. Many factors are considered in calculating need. For priority consideration of certain grants, we recommend completing the FAFSA by December 1

2. What is considered in calculating how much my family can afford to contribute to my education?
Congress has created a formula that takes a number of factors into consideration. Among them are a family’s total taxable and nontaxable income including the student’s income, family and student assets, the number of persons supported by the family income, the number of dependents in college, and the age and marital status of the parents.

3. What happens to the money that is awarded but not accepted because students decide to go to another college?
With the exception of the Pell Grant and Federal Direct Loans, funds are awarded to students attending Abilene Christian University. Awards do not transfer from one school to another. Students must reapply at their new college.

4. Is there any consideration for sending two or more students to college at the same time (i.e. group rate)? How is that factored in?
The federal need-based formula takes into consideration the household size and number in college (excluding parents) among other factors. Two in college would be reflected in the calculated family contribution for each student. If a parent is attending college half-time or more and working towards a degree or certificate contact Student Financial Services. An additional form is required to consider a parent in the number of family members in college.

5. What if our previous year’s income is greater than our income will be for this year?
First complete the FAFSA with the requested information, then contact the ACU’s Student Financial Services office. There is an additional form that can be completed to explain any special circumstances. Often, projected year income can be considered. These considerations are made at the family’s request and reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

6. What is the maximum family income allowed in order for a student to be eligible for some need-based scholarships or support? Is that level the same for all universities?
Since so many factors are taken into consideration when determining a student’s eligibility for assistance there is not a specific maximum income threshold for need-based aid. The FAFSA formula determines the family contribution which remains the same from school to school. Need-based eligibility is determined by subtracting the family contribution from the cost of attendance at each institution.

7. Whose income do you use for the FAFSA if my parents are divorced? (father’s, mother’s or stepparent’s)?
If a student’s parents are divorced, the income data for the parent and stepparent (if any) with whom the student lives is used to calculate eligibility for assistance.

8. In determining eligibility for need-based assistance, what income figure is important (gross, net, adjusted)?
The adjusted gross income is used.

9. We are in a high-income range but have low assets. How might this affect our need-based help?
Both asset and income information are collected on the FAFSA. Based on income and household information provided, the federal formula determines what the family can contribute toward educational costs. The family contribution is then subtracted from the cost of attendance to determine need-based eligibility.

10. Do I have to be on Block Tuition ?
Yes. If you are an undergrad and enrolled full time (12 hours).

11. How much does it cost if I take more than 36 hours ?
The rate is half the regular hourly rate.

12. If I drop a class during the school year, how will this affect my
Financial Aid ?
The consequences of dropping a class depends on the timing during the semester. It is always best to consult with a financial aid representative before making such a decision.

Back to Top