M.S. in Social Work - Advanced Standing
Complete this short form to learn more about our M.S.S.W Advanced Standing program. ACU’s Office of Graduate Programs will reach out shortly to discuss your interests and answer your questions.
ACU’s M.S.S.W. program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education .
Find answers to some of our more frequent questions at the button below.
What To Expect
These are the important details you will need to keep in mind as you prepare your application and degree plan.
Program length 12 months
Credit hours 38
Current tuition per credit hour $1,242
- Advanced Evidence-Based Practice Interventions II
- Advanced Social Work Field Practicum II
- Integrated Healthcare
- Management and Funding for Nonprofit Organizations
- Leading and Managing Change in Nonprofit Organizations
School of Social Work
Summer Priority Review
(Preferred consideration for Graduate Assistantships, Scholarships, and Field Placements)
Summer Standard Review
May 1 (deadline may extend if space is available)
Please contact the Office of Graduate Programs (firstname.lastname@example.org or 325-674-2656)
About the Program
The mission of the ACU’s Master of Science in Social Work program is to prepare students for professional leadership and ethical advanced generalist social work practice with an evidence-based emphasis. Students will effectively address the biological, psychological, sociological and spiritual dimensions of human well-being and promote diversity, equity, inclusion and justice across system levels in domestic and international community contexts. You can learn more about all the opportunities with our MSSW program by clicking the button at the top of this page.
Advanced-standing program eligibility includes a completed Bachelor of Science in Social Work or Bachelor of Social Work from a Council on Social Work Education-accredited program within the past five years; cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher in B.S.S.W. or B.S.W. course work; and acceptable field practicum evaluation. Applicants who completed the BSW more than five years ago are eligible for Advanced Standing if they are employed in the field of social services.
- Complete the online application;
- Pay the $65 application fee;
- An official transcript(s) in English (or translated to English) of all previous colleges attended. The transcript must indicate an earned bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university or equivalent;
- A cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale; If undergraduate GPA is below 3.0, the GRE or MAT entrance exam may be required. Our GRE code is 6001;
- Two letters of recommendation (may be submitted through the online application);, one letter of recommendation must be from a former social work professor;
- A personal statement addressing your motivation for graduate studies and entering the social work profession, including reflections on the four themes of the ACU School of Social Work:
- evidence-based practice;
- the gift of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging;
- spirituality and social work;
- social justice;
- A writing sample in the form of a formal graded senior level assignment of at least five pages from the student’s undergraduate work (or acceptable alternative);
- A “field practicum assessment” must be submitted by students who have graduated from a CSWE accredited BSW/BSSW program and are applying to advanced standing status (1 year program)
Make a difference
Graduate of ACU’s MSSW program
In cooperation with the Graduate School of Theology, the School of Social Work has developed plans whereby students can pursue the M.S. in Social Work degree concurrently with the Master of Arts in Christian Ministry degree.
Hannah Sims created a video series to inspire viewers to become foster parents.
First-Hand Field Experience
At ACU, our Master’s in Social Work curriculum gives students unparalleled field placement opportunities specifically designed to fit their interests, outside commitments, and future career goals.