AUDITION DATES 2023-2024
All dates are for Instrumental & Vocal students. See guidelines for Major auditions and Non-Major auditions below
- November 18
- February 3
- February 24
- March 23
- April 13
- April 14 – video audition deadline
Brass, Woodwind, String Auditions
(Majors & Non-Majors)
Perform approximately 10 minutes of music that includes a technical excerpt and a melodic or lyrical excerpt, or a solo that demonstrates both technical and lyrical playing.
Excerpts may be taken from a standard solo or etude, a piece from the UIL contest list, UIL region etudes, or similar pieces.
Prospective majors – perform works for timpani, snare, and keyboard percussion. Excerpts may be taken from a standard solo or etude, a piece from the UIL contest list, UIL region etudes, or similar pieces.
Prospective non-majors – perform 5-10 minutes of music and include at least two of the listed instruments.
Perform from at least two of the following categories:
- Any work of J. S. Bach or D. Scarlatti
- Any sonata movement of Haydn, Mozart, or Beethoven
- A composition of the Romantic period (Chopin, Schumann, Brahms, etc.)
- An Impressionist (Debussy, Ravel, etc.) or Contemporary composition
Perform in at least two of the following categories:
- A solo from the UIL list
- An art song from the Baroque, Classic or Romantic era in a foreign language
- A contemporary art song in English
- An aria from an operetta, oratorio, or opera, in either the original language or a translation
Voice major auditions also consist of sight-reading and an interview with the faculty. An accompanist is provided for all voice major auditions.
Choral Non-Major Scholarships
- Perform one solo in English or a foreign language (typically a solo from the UIL list)
- Students may sing a hymn such as “Amazing Grace”
Non-major choral scholarship auditions also consist of sight-reading and an interview with the faculty. An accompanist is provided for all auditions.
Fill out the Video Audition Form completely, including a link (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) to your video.
If you have any questions about auditions, please contact us.