Frequently Asked Questions

Office of General Counsel

Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Is the Office of General Counsel able to offer advice about personal legal concerns?

The Office of General Counsel cannot offer legal advice to any individual seeking help with a personal matter.

If you need help finding an attorney, check the following resources:

2. When do I need permission to use someone else’s work or publication?

The Office of General Counsel recommends that all faculty, staff and/or students be sensitive and cautious about utilizing copyrighted materials. To learn more about ownership of copyrighted materials and how to obtain permission to use copyrighted materials, visit the University of Texas Copyright Crash Course.


3. How do I know when I am authorized to reveal student academic information to a third party, including parents or guardians?

Faculty and staff can use a Banner 3rd Party Access Form, “SZFERPA,” which lists who, if any, has been given authorization to receive information about the student’s educational records.


4. I have a problem with my lease (or landlord). Can the Office of General Counsel help me?

The Office of General Counsel is unable to offer legal advice about leases or landlord/tenant issues. You can go to the Texas Attorney General’s website to find out more information about renters’ rights in the state of Texas.

5. What steps do I need to take in order to appeal a disciplinary action?

You must submit an appeals form. Please contact the Dean of Students office or see the Student Guide for more information regarding the appeals process.

6. What rights do I have under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, or FERPA, grants several rights to students concerning their educational records. Find more information on students’ rights at the FERPA button below.


7. Where should I direct a process server who is looking to serve legal papers on someone at ACU?

If a process server calls or comes to your office looking to serve legal papers on an ACU employee or student, please direct them to the ACU Police Department located at 1634 Campus Court, Abilene, Texas 79601 or by phone at 325-674-2911.