20 Under 40: Jeffrey Edwards, M.D.

jeffrey edwards
Jeffrey Edwards

Age: 32

Business: Hendrick Provider Network

Job title: Physician, internal medicine

Why are you working in this industry?

The relationship between a patient and his/her healthcare provider is uniquely intimate. Being in medicine allows me to truly see a person’s thought process, emotions, support system, family dynamics, and (not to overstate it) their heart and soul. While forming these unique relationships, I also get to help them become a healthier, more complete version of who they are, and that is a challenging but incredibly satisfying career in which I am fortunate to take part.

What are three daily habits that have helped you to become successful?

1. Wake up before 6 a.m. and get to work early
2. Exercise at least three to four times per week
3. Use a checklist – for everything

What is the best funniest advice you have ever received?

I heard this from one of my attendings at Scott & White: When you have a patient with bacteremia (bacteria in the bloodstream), you have to do the Cotton-Eye Joe…where did it come from, and where did it go? Also, nothing stands in the way of a discharge.

What do you want to be doing in 10 years?

Exactly what I’m doing now – serving my patients in both the hospital and clinic settings while helping them be healthy.

What was your first summer job?

Working at the local McDonald’s.

Where will we find you enjoying your hard-earned time off?

Shooting BB guns with my two sons, playing with dolls with my 1-year-old daughter, and going on a date with my wife at the Beehive or Copper Creek.

If you were to give one piece of advice to someone starting out in your field what would it be?

Pick five physicians whom you admire; watch what they do, how they think, how they talk to patients, when they ask for help, how they study, etc.; and then model your practice after them.

Community, civic, professional, business, religious, social and other organizations of which you have been a member/and or leader:

American Medical Association;Texas Medical Association; American College of Physicians (ACP); Texas ACP; Texas ACP, regional governor, 2016-17; Hendrick Foundation Board and other committees at Hendrick Medical Center; Southern Hills Church of Christ, member and Sunday school teacher; Abilene Christian University, alumni advisory board; Abilene Young Professionals

Your family:

Wife, Lauren; sons Carter, 6, and Harrison, 4; daughter, Holland, 1.

20 Under 40 is an awards program from the Abilene Chamber of Commerce, conducted with the Abilene Reporter-News, to recognize local business leaders under the age of 40 who make a positive impact on the community. We are proud of our alumni who have been recognized for 2019.
Read about the other ACU alumni honorees