- Don’t jaywalk (crossing a street at places other than intersections or designated pathways). If you’re hit while jaywalking, the driver may not be liable, and insurance may not cover your injuries.
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing the street.
- When walking near or around traffic, put away electronic devices that take your eyes and ears off of your surroundings.
- Watch for vehicles while you cross a street.
- Do not assume a driver can see you.
- Slow down.
- Avoid distractions while driving (phones, radios, people, etc.).
- Pay attention to the road and obey all traffic laws at all times (speed limit, traffic signs, traffic signals, etc.).
- Stop for all pedestrians at crosswalks.
- Yield the right-of-way to pedestrians. Pedestrians own the crosswalk and you should not cross until the pedestrian has safely crossed the street.