I want to apply for the OTD and the MSOT program. Do I need to submit two application fees in OTCAS?
Yes. The OTCAS system requires an initial $150 fee for one program application and $65 for additional programs. Each program, even within the same university is considered distinct.
I want to apply for the OTD and the MSOT program. Do I need to submit two ACU fees?
No. Only one ACU fee is required to apply to the university.
When will the OTCAS application open for the next cohort?
The OTCAS application opens each July.
When is the ACU application deadline? What if my OTCAS application is not verified by the deadline?
The deadline to apply is November 15th and this deadline does include the OTCAS verification process. Please click here to find helpful application timeline tips from OTCAS.
Do I need to submit documents to ACU, in addition to OTCAS? Is there a supplemental ACU application fee?
Upon submitting your OTCAS application, you’ll find instructions for paying the $65 ACU application fee. All other documents are reviewed through OTCAS.
How many applicants apply/are accepted each year?
The ACU OTD has a maximum class size of 15 Fall of 2023.
Do I need to submit my ACU transcript?
No, the Office of Graduate Programs will have access to your ACU transcript.
What is the minimum GPA required to apply?
An overall GPA of 3.2 is required to apply.
If I retake a course, is the original grade still included in the GPA calculation?
Yes, all grades earned for repeated courses are factored into your OTCAS GPA.
What is the minimum number of observation hours needed to apply?
A minimum of 40 hours of volunteer/observation activity in a professional occupational therapy setting are needed to apply. Applicants are encouraged to complete observation hours in more than one clinical setting. Procedures for documentation are outlined in the OTCAS system.
Can I include non-OT observation hours on the form, such as observing a PT?
No, all hours entered into the OTCAS observation section must have been spent observing a licensed occupational therapist.
How do I document my observation hours?
Applicants will enter observation information directly into their OTCAS portal. Please click here for observation hour tracking information and instructions. ACU does not require additional forms or signatures.
What are the prerequisite courses for the program?
- Anatomy and Physiology I (or Anatomy)·
- Anatomy and Physiology II (or Physiology) minimum of 6 credit hours total·
- Statistics 3 credit hour minimum·
- Abnormal Psychology 3 credit hour minimum·
- Life Span Development 3 credit hour minimum·
- Medical Terminology may be taken as a certificate or continuing education course
Do all of my prerequisite courses need to be completed before the application deadline?
- A maximum of 6 credit hours of prerequisites can be pending at the time of application, with the exception of A&P I and A&P II.
- If a student is taking A&P II during the fall semester of their admissions cycle, they must enter their final grade in OTCAS as soon as it is posted in December.
How old can my prerequisite courses be when I apply?
All prerequisite coursework must be completed within seven years prior to enrollment.
Is there a minimum grade for a prerequisite course?
Yes, all prerequisite coursework must be successfully completed with a grade no lower than C. Credit/no Credit designations are not acceptable for prerequisite courses.
Can I take some of the prerequisites during the first semester of the OTD program?
No, an official, degree awarding transcript showing all prerequisite final grades must be submitted before beginning the ACU OTD program.
How do I know if my class satisfies the prerequisite requirement?
If the name of your course does not match the name of the prerequisite, you can request a prerequisite review to confirm that it will satisfy the requirement. To request a prerequisite review, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information in the email:
- ACU prerequisite course name
- Course name, course number, and catalog description for the corresponding course in question
- University or college providing the course
- Year and semester during which the course was taken
Does ACU have a preference for prerequisite course complete at a 2-year versus a 4-year institution? Online or residential?
The ACU OTD does not have a preference, as long as the college or university is accredited.
Is the GRE required for admission?
No, the GRE is not required. If provided in OTCAS, your GRE score will not be reviewed by the ACU OTD admissions committee.
Can I transfer credits to ACU's OTD from another program?
No, the ACU OTD program does not accept transfer credits from another university.
When will I be notified of my admission status?
Admission invitations will begin in late January and will continue until the cohort is filled. Invited individuals have two weeks to accept their invitation. All applicants will be notified concerning a waitlist once the cohort is filled.
If I am waitlisted, when will I be notified if I'm accepted?
Waitlisted applicants are notified as soon as there is an opening in the cohort. This could occur as late as August in some cases.
Is the program accredited?
The ACU OTD program is in the application process and is not currently accredited.
The ACU OTD has been granted Candidacy Status by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) of the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA), located at 6116 Executive Boulevard, Suite 200, North Bethesda, MD 20852-4929. ACOTE’s telephone number c/o AOTA is (301) 652-AOTA and its web address is www.acoteonline.org. The program must have a preaccreditation review, complete an on-site evaluation, and be granted Accreditation Status before its graduates will be eligible to sit for the national certification examination for the occupational therapist administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT). After successful completion of this exam, the individual will be an Occupational Therapist, Registered (OTR). In addition, all states require licensure in order to practice; however, state licenses are usually based on the results of the NBCOT Certification Examination. Note that a felony conviction may affect a graduate’s ability to sit for the NBCOT certification examination or attain state licensure.
What are the ACU NBCOT Exam pass rates?
As of this time no students have completed the OTD program. Pass rates for each cohort of the ACU MSOT may be found here.
How many entry terms are offered each year?
One entry term is offered each fall; new students begin in late August.
What is the length of the program?
Students complete the program in 2 years, five months (graduating in December).
Can I enroll part time?
There are no part time options.
What are the fieldwork expectations?
Fieldwork consists of two phases and a doctoral capstone experience
- Fieldwork Level 1 is scheduled at the completion of the first semester, can be performed in many different occupational therapy settings, and generally allows the students “real world” experiences under the direction of a licensed OT. The student is required to successfully complete three Level 1 Fieldwork experiences.
- Fieldwork Level 2 generally consist of two 12-week assignments at various occupational therapy settings under the direct supervision of an occupational therapist. Students work closely with the Academic Fieldwork Coordinator to determine the best location and OT environment for the student.
- Doctoral Capstone Experience is a 14 week (540 hour) assignment in a setting chosen by the student in collaboration with their faculty mentor and the Doctoral Capstone Coordinator in a designated area of interest.
What is the cost of tuition? Are scholarships offered?
For cost information, please visit the Doctor of Occupational Therapy page and review the “Degree Details” section. Scholarships are offered on a competitive basis.
Can I attend an ACU OTD open house?
Absolutely! Please click here to learn more about upcoming Open Houses or to schedule a campus visit.