Main Content

Lauren Skelton (’17) | Biology

Enlarge

lauren_skelton
Lauren Skelton, a biology major, and a fourth-generation Wildcat.
Lauren Skelton can’t pick a favorite ACU experience – there are too many.
“From sitting awestruck in Dr. Rebecca Hunter’s lecture in Biology I class, to cracking jokes in Dr. Perry Reeves’ chemistry lab, to squishing germy marshmallows in Dr. Jennifer Huddleston’s microbiology course, I have loved every minute of my education,” says the senior biology major with a chemistry/public service double minor.
Lauren is a fourth-generation Wildcat who’s preparing to transition to medical school and dreams of becoming a specialist in pediatrics or family medicine. Throughout her ACU career, she says, she has been “wonderfully impressed” and “encouraged” in her field and by those around her.
“Every professor I’ve encountered is encouraging and helpful and excited about what they teach,” she says. “They go out of their way to help students succeed.”
ACU has always been a part of her life – her great-grandfather Arthur “Tonto” Coleman (’28) coached his way into the ACU Sports Hall of Fame, and her grandparents Don (’63) and Kay (Coleman ’62) Skelton and parents Scott (’89) and Sheila (Todd ’89) Skelton each attended as well – but Lauren says she developed her own love for the Hill by attending ACU Leadership Camps while growing up.
“When it was time to apply to college, ACU was the only place I even considered,” she says. “I already knew it was home and was excited to carry on the family tradition as a Wildcat.”
From being a Jack Pope Fellow, serving on the production teams of Freshman Follies and Sing Song and as a member of the Student Alumni Association, and pledging the women’s social club GATA, Lauren has jumped at the opportunities placed before her. She says she’s not only thankful for the faculty and peers who have helped her succeed, she also is grateful for generous donors.
“My scholarships have allowed me to participate in all that ACU has to offer without worrying so much about the cost,” she says. “I am so thankful for my donors and all that they do, and I know many students feel the same. I hope I am someday able to give back to the university in the same way.”

SHARE: [Sassy_Social_Share type="standard"]