With many student organizations, ACU’s vibrant student life empowers you to get involved and develop connections in the areas you value most. On this page you will find the steps to begin the organization approval process. Please note that simply following the procedural steps in creating an organization does not guarantee recognition of an organization. Student Life and other individuals (if necessary) will review, recommend and make final approvals for the recognition of student organizations.
New Student Organization Process
- Complete an Interest Form describing the function and purpose of the organization, number of members, and the advisor/sponsor information.
Once the Interest Form has been received, an email from a Student Life representative will provide you with resources to assist with the following steps needed to complete the process.
- Complete an active members form with the names of your active members.
An organization must need a minimum of 10 members in order to be approved.
- Create a Constitution.
Every student organization is expected to maintain an up-to-date constitution and/or by-laws that communicate and assist in operating functions, order, rules and purpose of the organization. The constitution and/or bylaws are required to contain:
- Organization name
- Purpose of organization
- Membership requirements
- List of officers and roles
- Officer selection process
- Faculty/Staff advisor information
For assistance in creating a constitution, please reach out to Lucas Vogt, Graduate Intern of Student Engagement (email@example.com) or follow the template provided.
- Complete an Advisor Indemnification Letter.
- Student organizations are required to have a minimum of one full-time ACU faculty or staff member to serve as an advisor. Advisors play a crucial role in helping students facilitate an environment that is productive, safe, enjoyable and educational. Advisors guide and help students navigate the administrative functions at ACU.
- All advisors are expected to sign the Advisor Indemnification Letter. This letter provides clear guidance regarding advisor roles and expectations. Complete the Advisor Indemnification Letter.
- Once the Constitution and Advisor Indemnification Letter has been completed, please submit both documents by emailing the Student Organization Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Complete the Student Organizations Canvas module.
You will be added to the Canvas course upon the completion of steps 1-4.
- Your President and advisor will receive an e-mail confirmation of approval.
- An ACU Student Handbook will be provided for reference on policies and procedures regarding Student Life clubs and organizations.
Clubs and organizations that are seeking to be created in order to participate in expressive activities or political events, will not be approved.
ACU and Student Life supports the creation and continuation of all clubs and organizations whose purpose aligns with the mission of Abilene Christian University and adds value to the undergraduate experience. Student organizations are created to allow students to build community, develop leadership skills and contribute to the values set by ACU by fulfilling the mission of educating students for Christian service and leadership throughout the world. ACU affiliated organizations must adhere to the policies set forth in the Student Handbook. All activities and organizations that engage in any expressive activities or events that infringe on the rights of others are not permitted at ACU.
If you have any further questions or need assistance in the official student organization creation process, please contact any of the following representatives:
Graduate Intern of Student Engagement
Associate Dean of Student Engagement
ACU-Dallas Online or Campus
Senior Director of Student Engagement