The International Student Peer Mentor Program pairs a new international student with a current international student to walk with them through their transition to ACU with resources and connections on campus. Peer mentors serve new students by answering questions, becoming a friend, offering rides and being an empathetic ear.
Are you interested in being a peer mentor for the upcoming school year? Let us know, and we’ll share more information and details on the application process.
As a peer mentor, you are a representative of ACU’s OISVS and will be one of the new students’ first points of contact.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to)
- Communicate with mentee during the summer/winter break prior to their arrival.
- Answer mentee’s questions about academic and campus life in a timely manner.
- Assist first year or transfer students with their transition to campus (including shopping, airport pick-ups, etc.).
- Facilitate table discussions and assist during New Student Orientation in August and January.
- Organize meet-ups/activities for your mentees at least once a month to stay connected.
- Communicate regularly with your mentees throughout the semester.
- Attend a one-time online training, scheduled at your availability.
- Actively participate in other OISVS programming and ISA events.
- Must have completed at least two semesters at ACU prior to the upcoming semester.
- Must be registered as a full-time international student in good academic standing.
- Must be knowledgeable of student services offered on campus.
- Must be available for all scheduled peer mentor time commitments.
- Must have the ability to relate well to people with diverse cultural backgrounds and the ability to develop and promote cross-cultural understanding.
- Must possess characteristics and behaviors consistent with ACU’s Christian values.