Travel Information

for those with F-1 and J-1 Status

Main Content

Travel Guidelines for F and J Non-Immigrant Students

When traveling to your home country you will need to request a travel signature to confirm your continued enrollment with ACU. Complete the Travel Signature Request form to get this process started.: 

You will need the following to reenter the U.S.:

  • Valid passport (at least 6 months into the future)
  • Valid F-1 or J-1 visa (except Canadian citizens)
  • Valid I-20 or DS-2019 with travel signature form. The travel signature form is valid for five months.

Travel Signature Request Form

Keep your original documents with you at all times but also carry copies on your phone in case of emergency. If you are not in good academic standing, there may be delays or additional requirements before a travel signature can be given.

When traveling to a third country:

If you are traveling to a country other than your home country, check that country’s website for information about visas to enter their country and plan ahead. It often takes several weeks or months to process visa applications.

When traveling while on Optional Practical Training:

Travel recommendations are based on your stage in the OPT process. Check with OISVS for the most current recommendations.

In most cases, you must have a passport that is valid for at least six months after the date you enter or re-enter. However, for the most up-to-date accurate information, visit the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) travel page at the button below.

Travel | ICE

If you are traveling in the United States, make sure you carry the following documents with you at all times:

  • Valid Passport
  • I-94 page
  • Valid I-20 or DS-2019

Be aware that you may be required to show your documents at checkpoints near the Mexico border.

For information on U.S. requirements for entry, see the U.S. COVID Travel information from the U.S. Department of State.
Additional CDC resources:

Domestic Travel Advisories

International Travel Advisories

For information about safety abroad, check out the U.S. travel advisories webpage.


For information on travel while on OPT, visa revalidation when traveling to Canada or Mexico and other travel questions, see the Immigration and Customs Enforcement frequently asked questions page at the button below.

Travel FAQs | ICE