Are you ready for the challenge?
Complete the form to learn more about earning a Master’s in English.
Master of Arts in English
These are the important details you will need to keep in mind as you prepare your application and degree plan.
Program length: 2 years
Credit hours: 36
2021/2022 tuition per credit hour: $1,100
ENGL 610: 21st-Century American Literature
ENGL 612: Victorian Visions of Art and the Artist
ENGL 613: Literary Theory and Faith
ENGL 622: Rhetoric and Belief
Language and Literature
Priority Review: May 1 (Preferred consideration for Graduate Assistantships and Scholarships)
Standard Review: August 10
Features and Outcomes
- Courses in Literature and Composition/Rhetoric, with an option for Creative Writing courses.
- Study Abroad component in Oxford, England.
- Intentional professor/student ratio to enable academic and pedagogical mentoring.
- Opportunities to tutor and teach undergraduate students.
- A general MA in English that will provide a wide range of academic and professional opportunities, including–but not limited to–steps towards an MFA or PhD program.
What outcomes can you expect?
- ACU’s Master in English program offers a number of opportunities to assist students in achieving long term outcomes and goals.
- Gain worldly perspective through our Study Abroad program in Oxford, England
- Equip yourself for PHD programs, law school, the education field and multiple opportunities in the workforce.
- Gain experience as a tutor or teacher.
- Apply for competitive graduate assistantships.
- Complete an online application
- Pay the $65 application fee
- An official transcript(s) in English (or translated to English) of all previous colleges attended:
- The transcript must indicate an earned bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university or equivalent.
- The transcript should reflect 12 hours of upper-division English courses.
- The transcript should reflect a cumulative undergraduate approximate B average or above in the area of focus or related area and evidence of an overall productive GPA.
- Two letters of recommendation (may be submitted through the online application)
- A two-page, double-spaced purpose statement addressing why you want to pursue graduate school, why you chose ACU, and your future career goals
- A writing sample* in either:
- A sample critical essay (maximum of 15 pages) that demonstrates the applicant’s capacity for interpretation and literary analysis, or
- A sample of creative writing in prose or poetry (maximum of 20 pages).