Center for Speech, Language and Learning
Providing language, speech, voice and swallowing services for West Texas.
Who we are:
The ACU Center for Speech, Language and Learning is part of the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders at Abilene Christian University. The center is located at 1541 N Judge Ely Blvd, just southeast of the main ACU Campus.
Treatment services are provided by graduate students majoring in Communication Sciences and Disorders. All services are provided under the direct supervision of licensed and certified speech-language pathologists.
We conduct comprehensive evaluations through the use of formal and informal testing. The outcome of an assessment is expressed in a written report including clinical findings and recommendations.
Frequency of treatment services is determined according to individual needs. Generally, clients are seen on an individual basis. Family and caregivers are involved in the intervention process for education and generalization of communication strategies.
What we do:
We assess, diagnose and treat disorders of:
- Swallowing (dysphagia)
We have group and individual programs for:
- Speech delays and disorders
- Phonological processing delays and disorders
- Language delays and disorders
- Childhood language delays and disorders
- Aphasia (caused by stroke)
- Voice disorders
- Tongue thrust
- Accent Modification
- Parkinson’s Disease*
- Swallowing (dysphagia)
- Cognitive-linguistic disorders
- ACU Center for Speech, Language, and Learning
- SPEAK OUT!® and LOUD Crowd® *
- Aphasia in Action Program
- King David’s Kids (Autism Support Group)
* The ACU Center for Speech, Language, and Learning utilizes the SPEAK OUT!® and LOUD Crowd® therapy model developed by Parkinson Voice Project for the treatment of patients with Parkinson’s and Parkinson-plus syndromes. SPEAK OUT!® is the first step in the two-part therapy approach and typically consists of twelve individual speech therapy sessions. Upon completion of SPEAK OUT!®, each patient enters the maintenance phase of the therapy program, The LOUD Crowd®. This maintenance program consists of
speech therapy groups to help patients maintain the strength of their voices. The LOUD Crowd® provides ongoing vocal practice, accountability, support, and encouragement. By participating in LOUD Crowd®, patients have been shown to maintain their SPEAK OUT!® results for more than five years and counting.
SPEAK OUT!® and LOUD Crowd® therapy sessions are conducted by graduate clinicians who are supervised by ACU faculty members who are both licensed and certified
speech-language pathologists. Learn more at www.
ACU Center for Speech, Language and Learning (at the Duncum Center)
1541 N. Judge Ely Blvd
Abilene, TX 79601
To obtain more information or to schedule an appointment, contact Stephanie Fullerton, administrative coordinator for the Center for Speech, Language and Learning, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 325-674-6670.
The Master of Science (M.S.) education program in speech-language pathology at Abilene Christian University is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2200 Research Boulevard, #310, Rockville, MD 20850, 800-498-2071 or 301-296-5700.