Student Spotlight: James Wise

Holding over 20 years of pastoral and counseling experience with college students, engaged couples, married couples and families, James Wise is a true believer in the power of therapy and prayer. Integrating faith and spirituality into treatments with his clients, James has come a long way from ministering on a large scale to one-on-one. Recently graduating with his Master of Marriage and Family Therapy from ACU Online in December 2023, James is determined to bring the perspective and knowledge he acquired in his courses into the conversations with his clients. Like many therapists, James enjoys focusing on what’s in front of him today rather than what lies ahead. And while he has big plans for his life, James is excited to continue the work he has started, and the calling God has for him. 

Embracing The College Life 

Raised in Houston, Texas, James knew he wanted to serve his greater community. Having witnessed all sorts of people, cultures and differences, as a child, James believed he was meant to serve as the hands and feet of Jesus through college ministry. Shortly after finishing high school, James decided to take things at his own speed and enrolled at the University of Mary Hardin–Baylor, where he first heard about ministry careers and other top-tier Christian universities – like ACU. Even so, James continued with his current college choice and became actively involved in the university. From working as a resident assistant to working in campus-wide ministry groups like the Baptist Student Ministries and Crusader Knights, James was doing it all and liking it. 

“I was heavily involved,” James said. “It’s there that I saw that I actually wanted to be a part of the ministry field with college kids, so that’s what led me to find work in that post-graduation.” 

Finishing his college education with a bachelor’s in religion, he immediately started working in various parts of Central and West Texas as an associate pastor, campus ministry leader and missions consultant. Then, one day, he got a call and was asked if he would be interested in serving as the regional oversight pastor for the Middle East and Africa regions for Antioch Community Church in Dubai. Shocked but excited, James said ‘yes’ and served for the next four years. However, while this adventure was meant to reach the unreachable, he realized he didn’t have it all figured out yet. He needed “more training.” 

“While I was in that position, I just started to notice how I did not have the training to be able to walk into hard conversations about faith, mental health, and missions. It felt like, because of who I am, I was not capable of carrying out conversations in an effective way that could help people and bring them to Christ. So, it was then that I decided that maybe it was time for me to head back to school.”   

Finding ACU Online 

James knew there had to be more out there; more education, more treatment ideas and more conversations about why the world worked like it did. So, while still living in Dubai, James began looking high and low for online universities that provided accredited faculty members, a Christian focus, and a strong emphasis on evidence-based mental health treatments. It did not take long for the name ‘ACU’ to keep popping up. From friends telling him to look into ACU Online’s marriage and family therapy program to Google constantly highlighting ACU Online, James felt like it was a sign. He needed to apply. 

Shortly after, in the winter of 2021, James was enrolled and started classes amidst the pandemic and other life factors. And while the world was in turmoil, James felt peace. He was learning about the factors and real-life effects people carry when they encounter spiritual abuse, death, sexual addiction, divorce, burnout, chronic stress, chronic illness, unexpected transition or prolonged grief. To James, the program didn’t shy away from the issues of the world. Instead, they brought them to light and challenged students to meet those issues head-on. 

“The program allowed me to see the world in a system-based approach,” James replied. “One change causes something else to happen, and it was so true in my line of work. One heartache, one death, had affected people in ways I could not imagine. So, this program kind of fit exactly what I was looking for and was facing in my everyday life.” 

One of the things that impacted him the most was the faculty members. Having researched their work before applying, James was adamant about joining a university that had exceptional professors with published works. He wanted those who shaped him to be reputable and recognized for their work. Now, having graduated, he is beyond thrilled that the requirement was met. 

“The professors and faculty really cared and knew what they were talking about,” James expressed. “That was something I was paying close attention to, and I’m so glad it lived up to my expectations and beyond.” 

Today, James has chosen to apply those ACU values. Serving as a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist Associate at Forsyth Family Counseling in North Carolina, James is changing the lives of individuals and families through empathic and relatable marriage and family therapy. Using evidence and strengths-based approaches, James enjoys putting his decades of lay counseling experience into practice. Working with clients both young and old, James aims to make himself known as a Christ-following, compassionate, non-judgmental, one-day-at-a-time kind of therapist. 

“I want to find meaningful ways to help people,” James remarked. “I want to be the person people feel comfortable coming to. And I truly believe I am in the right line of work to do that effectively.” 

Are you interested in helping others gain clarity about their circumstances like James Wise? Visit our website to learn all about our highly acclaimed Master of Marriage and Family Therapy program.