The new era of Moody Coliseum – beloved home of many significant events in the life of Abilene Christian University and the Abilene community – launches with the start of the 2022 academic year. The two-year renovation project is the facility’s first significant upgrade since its opening in 1968.
“Moody Coliseum is at the heart of many of our campus traditions and is a critical part of our athletics program,” said Dr. Phil Schubert, ACU president. “We’re thrilled to be able to bring the facility not only up to date but to a level that rivals any other venue in the Southwest. I’m so thankful to our donors who believed in the value of this space on campus and made the transformation possible for our students, student-athletes, coaches, fans, alumni, faculty and staff, and guests who visit campus. In addition, Moody will continue to be one of the largest gathering spaces in Abilene and the surrounding area, and it will be a joy to welcome the local community back to campus.”
- Additional leg room in the main seating in the coliseum.
- Larger seats in some sections.
- Improved accessibility.
- A 2,000-square-foot club room.
- Practice gymnasium.
- An academic center and main level hospitality suite.
- Additional offices for athletics administration.
- Upgraded locker rooms and training rooms.
- Upgraded restrooms and concessions.
- Upgraded audio/visual system, including 21 LED boards.
- The renovated Moody seats about 3,600 (previously 4,100).
- The new face of the exterior includes the addition of a north tower and south tower, each three stories tall.
— Wendy Kilmer
Aug. 29, 2022