The Texas Board of Nursing determines the criteria for eligibility for licensure. Students should access the Board of Nursing website to examine the Nurse Practice Act and its regulations.
Before you begin
Requirements & Procedures
Students must be admitted to ACU and meet all university degree requirements. A separate admission process is required for students to be admitted to the School of Nursing. Admission is competitive, and the size of the classes is determined by the Texas Board of Nursing. Admission to Abilene Christian University does not guarantee admission to School of Nursing.
Please read through this page in its entirety prior to starting your application.
Admission to the School of Nursing is a prerequisite to all nursing courses (or approval by the School of Nursing Dean) and students must apply for admission to the School of Nursing.
- Application deadline for the fall semester is the March 1 of the same year.
- Application deadline for the spring semester is September 1 of the previous calendar year.
Late applications will be reviewed after initial admission decisions are made.
Nursing Entrance Exam
Students are required to take the TEAS entrance exam and receive a minimum score of 58.7% in each section (Math, Reading, Science and English). Click the link to learn more about this exam which is administered at the University Testing Center, Hardin Administration Building, rooms 118-124.
Applicants must show
- at least 68 cumulative credit hours completed*
- a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 based on a 4.0 scale.
*Courses in the supplement for major (see nursing degree plan) completed with a letter grade less than “C,” or 2.0 on a 4.0 scale, will not be accepted toward the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree.
- Before submitting an application
Five courses listed under Supplement for the Major (not including labs) must be completed.
- Before entering the School of Nursing
All courses listed under the Supplement for the Major must be completed.**
**Students in and prior to 2016-17 catalog year must complete all other prerequisite courses within the first year of admission. Students in after 2016-17 catalog year must complete all other prerequisite courses before entering the School of Nursing.
Certified Nursing Assistant Course (CNA; may be a PCT in some states) must be completed prior to submitting an application
The required application materials include:
- School of Nursing Application
- Copy of Social Security Card
- Transcripts of ALL coursework
- Copy of TEAS entrance exam scores
- Signed copy of Notice of Conditions that might Disqualify Student’s Eligibility for Licensure
- If applicable, documentation of military service or work experience in healthcare
All application materials should be submitted directly to the office of the Dean.
Zona Luce building | room 205
Once accepted to the School of Nursing, students must submit the following:
- Certified Nursing Assistant Certificate
- Essential performance form (provided by the School of Nursing) that attests to the ability of the student to meet emotional, cognitive, and physical requirements of the program
- Proof of immunizations and lab tests (a list will be provided by the School of Nursing)
- Documentation of Health Insurance
- Drug screen at a designated lab (further information is provided by the School of Nursing). Students may also be required to submit to random drug screenings in order to practice in the clinical facilities.
- Completed criminal background check required by the Texas Board of Nursing
- Cleared clinical background check required by the clinical facilities (further information is provided by the School of Nursing).
- Proof of current CPR certification (American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers is required).
- Professional liability insurance (included in the student’s tuition costs) is required
Forms & Documentation
After notification of acceptance into the Nursing program the following clinical documentation is needed to be uploaded to your Castlebranch document manager account. It is mandatory that these documents are uploaded by the due date in order to secure placement in the program.
- Texas Board of Nursing Criminal Background Check and Notice of Conditions
- Clinical Background Check
- CNA Requirement
- HESI A2 Entrance Exam
- Driver’s License or State Issued ID
- AHA CPR for Healthcare Professionals
- Drug Screening
- Health Insurance
- TDaP Immunization
- Measles, Mumps and Rubella Vaccinations
- Varicella (Chickenpox) Vaccination
- Hepatitis B Vaccination
- Tuberculosis (TB) Testing
- Influenza Vaccination
Applicants seeking admission by transfer must meet all of the same standards required of those students who have matriculated at ACU. In order for a student to meet program requirements for the completion of the BSN curriculum, the student must demonstrate minimal competency in nursing theory and practice. This competency is demonstrated through successful scoring on the identified exit exam.
Students seeking a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) may take a minor outside the School of Nursing. This minor is NOT required as a part of the BSN degree, and credit hours beyond the minimum hours required may be needed to complete the minor.
All application materials should be submitted directly to the office of the Dean. Zona Luce building | room 205.