M.Ed. in Teaching & Learning
Complete this short form to learn more about our M.Ed. in Teaching and Learning. ACU’s Office of Graduate Programs will reach out shortly to discuss your interests and answer your questions.
Please note: Only ACU students enrolled in an undergraduate degree that includes teacher certification can apply for our METL program
What To Expect
These are the important details you will need to keep in mind as you prepare your application and degree plan.
The fifth-year Initial Certification track, designed for high-performing teacher candidates, allows you to begin graduate-level courses in your final undergraduate semester at ACU. You will participate in a year-long clinical teaching placement in high-needs schools and classrooms, and you will leave equipped to meet the needs of diverse student populations.
Credit hours: 36
Current tuition per credit hour: $1,000
Program length: 12-15 months
Creating Effective Learning Environments
Action Research for Classroom Teachers
Overcoming Learning Barriers
School of Education
Initial Certification Track: second to last Friday in November
Frequently Asked Questions
Candidates will begin the process by submitting a Statement of Intent in the EDUC 211 semester and will formally apply to the Fifth-Year Master’s in Teaching and Learning Degree Sequence during the fall semester, one year prior to matriculation. Applications will be due on the second to last Friday in November with notification of acceptance prior to the spring semester.
Candidates will then apply to the graduate school in the fall semester of their senior year to begin taking graduate level courses the following spring, while completing their undergraduate coursework for May graduation.
- Candidates must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree that includes teacher certification. The GPA requirement will be 3.0 overall and 3.0 in the content field.
- Candidates must have earned no grade lower than a B in any undergraduate professional education courses (EDUC, READ, EACH, SPED).
- Candidates must have no score below 3 on the Dispositions Review completed by three ACU faculty members (two from the School of Education and one from the content area department for middle school, high school and all-levels applicants or three from the School of Education for all other applicants).
- A completed application to the Fifth-Year Master’s in Teaching and Learning Degree sequence with a statement of purpose and philosophy (maximum of two pages with 12-point font, double-spaced) addressing one’s motivation for pursuing the degree and describing one’s current philosophy of education. No score below a 3 on any category of the essay rubric.
- In the fall semester prior to the beginning M.Ed. courses, students will complete an application to the ACU Office of Graduate Programs and pay a $65 fee
- For more information about the graduate application, please contact Dr. Andrew Huddleston at email@example.com or the Office of Graduate Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org
For information on pricing and billing of this degree, click here.
What outcomes can you expect?
- Education policy development
- Curriculum development
Spring of Senior Year – Successful completion of the first six graduate hours will waive the final six hours of the undergraduate degree saving 6 hours in tuition.
- EDUC 411/431 Elementary Block
- EDUC 412/432 Secondary Block
- EDUC 653 Educational Research
- SPED 677 Teaching Students with High Incidence Disabilities
- EDUC 681 Nurturing School Culture to Create a Learning Community
- EDUC 684 Meeting the Learning Challenge
- EDUC 697 Instructional Coaching
- EDUC 688 Creating Effective Learning Environments
Fall Semester – Semester one of clinical practice
- EDUC 691 Education Workshop (First semester of Clinical Teaching)
- EDUC 687 Managing Data to Improve Student Learning
Spring Semester – Semester two of clinical practice
- EDUC 691 Education Workshop (Second semester of Clinical Teaching)
- EDUC 655 Action Research
- EDUC 686 Reframing Learning
- EDUC 621 Overcoming Learning Barriers