Main Content

SSN and Texas Driver License

When you arrive in the U.S., you will find many businesses require a U.S. document that proves your identity. You may be able to use your passport for some needs, but others will require one of the following:

Applying for a Social Security Card

  1. Fill out the International Student On-Campus Employment form and take the completed form to the Human Resources office (2nd floor) and complete your new-hire paperwork (I-9). Once that is completed, they will sign your form and you will take it to the OISVS office (Hardin Administration Bldg., Rm 124) so that Lucy Dawson can issue you a social security letter (verification that you are eligible to work on campus).
  2. Once Lucy has issued your letter, you will receive an email from the OISVS office letting you know that it is ready for you to pick up.
    NOTE: Chartwells and Bookstore employees will need a letter from the employer verifying the employer’s number, contact information, and EIN number, along with the student’s name, the start date, the position title, and the number of hours a week.
  3. Students working for ACU will need to get their supervisor’s signature on the social security letter (page 2).
  4. Once you have gotten your supervisor’s signature, you will need to bring the following documents with you to the social security office:
    • Passport w/ VisaI-20 (original)
    • I-94 (most recent)
    • Social security letter signed by Lucy and your supervisor
    • Completed Social Security Application

Social Security Office: 

  • 1202 ES 11th Street Abilene, TX
  • Mon., Tues., Thur., Fri.: 9am – 4pm
  • Wed: 9am – 12pm

NOTE: Due to COVID, the Social Security office is currently closed to the general public and will only take in-person appointments by special request. In order to request an appointment, please fill out this form and Veronica will email you once your appointment has been secured.
If you need a ride to the Social Security office, you can schedule an appointment with Veronica Summers via email:

Applying for a Texas Driver License or ID card

Be prepared to show the following to prove your identity and immigration status in the U.S.:

  • Original I-20
  • Passport
  • Visa
  • Most recent I-94

If you live on-campus, you will need to request for a notarized letter from ACU Reslife ( as proof of residency.

If you live off-campus, in order to prove Texas residency, be prepared to show any two of the following documents, where the address on both documents is exactly the same:

  • Checking, savings, investment account, or credit card statements dated within 90 days of the application date
  • Mail from a federal, state, county, or city government agency dated within 90 days of the application date
  • W-2 or 1099 tax form from the current year
  • Pre-printed paycheck or pay stub within 90 days of the application date
  • Electric, water, natural gas, satellite television, cable television, or non-cellular telephone statement dates within 90 days of the application date
  • Current renter’s insurance policy or statement
  • Current automobile insurance policy or statement

Be prepared to pay $16 with cash or a check, not with a debit or credit card. If you have questions, please contact Veronica via email: 

Other requirements:

A. Driver’s Education Courses

Texas law requires everyone over 18 and under 25 years of age who wish to obtain a Texas drivers license to complete a 6-hour driver’s education course for adults.

If you’re between 15 and 18 years old and seeking to earn your Texas learners permit (instruction permit), you’ll need to complete a driver’s education course for teens.

> Online Courses: 

B. Impact Texas Driver

In addition, you will be required to provide evidence of completion of the Impact Texas Driver course which can be found here:


NOTE: If you’re over 25 years old, you don’t need a certificate from an adult drivers ed course. Just make an appointment for a drivers license test at the DPS. There, you will take your written licensing exam, and vision and hearing tests, before getting behind the wheel for your road test.

An easy way to bypass the licensing exam, however, is to take an adult drivers ed course anyway. Your final exam for the course replaces your written exam at the DPS, making it much easier to pass.

For more information see, 

Scheduling an appointment:

Due to COVID, the DPS office has limited availability for in-person appointments under special circumstances. First time driver’s license applicants can schedule an appointment online at this website: 

NOTE: When scheduling your appointment online, if it asks for your SSN but you do not currently have one, just type in all 1’s (111-11-111).  If you need a ride to the Social Security office, you can schedule an appointment with Veronica Summers via email: 

Related Links