Main Content

F-1 Student Transfer Procedure

Students who are maintaining their F-1 status are allowed to transfer from one DHS-approved school to another. There are important procedures required by both schools to keep students from falling out of status.

F-1 Transfer-In Procedures for students transferring to ACU

  • Discuss the transfer process with the international advisor at your current school. Present your ACU acceptance letter.  Be sure you understand how work authorization is affected by the transfer. Discuss any travel plans that could require a new I-20 to reenter the U.S.
  • The Office of International Students and Visiting Scholars (OISVS) at ACU will require a copy of all your current I-20’s and your I-94, passport and visa.
  • Print out an ACU Transfer-In form and fill out the student section.  Request the international advisor at your current school to complete the form and returned it to the OISVS at ACU.
  • Once the transfer release date has passed, ACU will issue a new I-20 (listed as “transfer pending”) if sufficient financial support documents have been received.
  • Enroll in a full load of courses and report to the OISVS within 15 days of the program start date.
  • After you have enrolled in classes and reported to our office with your documents, you will be issued an I-20 showing that your transfer is complete. Students who have not enrolled and reported to the OISVS within 15 days of the beginning of the semester will be considered out of status and must apply for reinstatement.

F-1 Transfer-Out Procedures for students transferring away from ACU

  • Please contact the OISVS for details on required documents.  Bring your acceptance letter from the new school, and discuss how work authorization and travel are affected by your transfer plans.  Be sure to notify the new school’s international office that you are a transfer student.
  • Submit the new school’s transfer form for completion to the OISVS at ACU, or use a form from our office.  This will facilitate the transfer of your SEVIS record from ACU to your new school.
  • Register for a full load of classes at your new school, and report to the new school’s international office within 15 days of the beginning of the semester with your documents.

Disclaimer: The OISVS makes every attempt to provide accurate immigration advice for F-1 students. The information on our website is general and should not be taken as legal advice. Please contact an immigration attorney if legal advice is needed. It is your responsibility to understand and follow the rules given by DHS and the University.