- You will be receiving only a ceremonial diploma tube at Commencement.
- Your diploma will be mailed 6-8 weeks after the Commencement ceremony. It will be mailed to the address you provided when you completed the application to graduate.
- Send changes of diploma mailing addresses to the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com.
For the Commencement Ceremony
“Hooding the graduate” is a long-standing tradition in the ACU Commencement ceremony. A parent or special person selected by the graduate serves as an escort and during the ceremony places the hood on the graduate. The escort will process in with the graduate and remain seated with the graduate for the duration of the ceremony (up to two and one-half hours). The minimum age to participate in this role is thirteen years of age. Please keep in mind the escort will accompany the graduate on the walk from the Teague Center to Moody Coliseum (approximately a quarter-mile walk), so please confirm with them that they can do so.
- Candidates should report to the check-in tables in the lobby of the Teague Center by the check-in time designated for your ceremony above. You will receive an email prior to rehearsal indicating which line you will be in.
- You should arrive wearing your hat and robe and carrying your hood. Your escort must be wearing the white robe.
- Do not bring other personal items with you to the Teague Center – they will not be secured and you may not carry them with you in the ceremony.
- You will have the opportunity to address concerns about the accurate pronunciation of your name.
- If you or your escort will require accommodations due to physical limitations, notify the Office of the Registrar by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Children may not be involved in Commencement and they may not be in the check-in line or in the ceremony with either the graduate or the escort.
This brief video will provide an example of the “hooding of the graduate” portion of the Commencement Ceremony.
- Suit coats are not required, but ties should be worn.
- Dark slacks, dark socks, and dark shoes are considered appropriate apparel for academic regalia occasions.
- Dark clothing (either blouses and skirts or dresses) should be worn under the black robes.
- Light colors of clothing should be worn under the white robes.
- No flowers are to be worn or carried.
- According to traditions of academic regalia, no jewelry or non-academic accessories should be worn on the outside of the robe; no accessories or decor on the cap.
- The only exceptions are the gold stole worn by students who achieve the Honors Scholar or Honors Graduate distinction in the Honors College, the medallion worn by University Scholar student, the gold braid worn by student who have earned departmental honors, and the discipline-based Honor regalia. There are no special cords for candidates receiving Latin Honors.
- Sunday dress or business casual is the most appropriate attire for guests.
Please order your regalia using the ACU Marketplace. You will have the option to pick up your order at the Campus Store or have it shipped to you. When your order is ready for pick up or shipping, you will receive an email from the Campus Store. You may pick up your order any time between now and December 16. The Campus Store’s regular hours are currently 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
Remember that all undergraduate students must have an Escort to participate in the Commencement Ceremony. The Bachelor’s degree package includes the white escort gown.
The regalia you wear in the Commencement ceremonies at ACU is yours to keep or dispose of as you wish.
During the ceremony, each graduate will walk across the stage and receive a ceremonial diploma tube. Your photograph will be taken at this point by a professional photographer from GradTrack Graduation Images. You will receive a free passport-sized digital proof of this photo on an order card within 5-7 days following the ceremony. After the ceremony you may order online at www.gradimages.com; to pre-register please visit www.gradimages.com and click on Pre-Event Registration.
Since this service is provided by the university, all family members and guests are asked to remain in their seats during the entire ceremony. Under no circumstances will anyone other than the professional photographer be allowed on the platform or on the floor of Moody Coliseum to take pictures. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Honors at Commencement are based on a student’s GPA on courses taken at ACU. Students must complete at least 64 hours of course work at ACU to qualify to graduate with honors. The GPA thresholds for students who entered ACU in Fall 2006 or later are 3.6 for cum laude, 3.75 for magna cum laude, and 3.9 for summa cum laude.
Honors listed in the graduation program are based on completed, graded hours and current GPA at the time of Commencement. If the final semester’s grades alter the student’s standing, the correct honor will be noted on the diploma.
There is wheelchair accessible seating available on the mezzanine and floor levels of Moody Coliseum. This seating is available on a first come, first served basis.
The parking lot directly north of Moody Coliseum (located at B2 on the ACU Campus Map) will be reserved for special-needs guests with appropriate vehicle license plates or placards. This parking will be available on a first-come-first-served basis.
For family and friends who are unable to attend the ceremony in person, we will be livestreaming the Commencement ceremonies. Watch the livestream here: When Available.