Brass, Woodwind, String Auditions (Majors & Non-Majors)
Perform approximately 10 minutes of music that includes a technical excerpt and a melodic or lyrical excerpt, or a solo that demonstrates both technical and lyrical playing.
Excerpts may be taken from a standard solo or etude, a piece from the UIL contest list, UIL region etudes, or similar pieces.
Prospective majors – perform works for timpani, snare, and keyboard percussion. Excerpts may be taken from a standard solo or etude, a piece from the UIL contest list, UIL region etudes, or similar pieces.
Prospective non-majors – perform 5-10 minutes of music and include at least two of the listed instruments.
Piano Auditions (Majors only)
Perform from at least two of the following categories:
- Any work of J. S. Bach or D. Scarlatti
- Any sonata movement of Haydn, Mozart, or Beethoven
- A composition of the Romantic period (Chopin, Schumann, Brahms, etc.)
- An Impressionist (Debussy, Ravel, etc.) or Contemporary composition
Scholarship Awarding Criteria
We recommend that you choose audition material that best represents your abilities. Criteria for awarding scholarships are:
- Demonstrated performance skill and musicianship
- Needs within the department
- Available funds
To submit a video audition:
Fill out the Video Audition Form completely, including a link (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) to your video.