The cover story of our Summer 2011 issue, “Walking in the Steps of Paul,” gives you insight into that experience. ACU chancellor Dr. Royce Money, and his wife, Pam (Handy ’65), accompanied the group to Istanbul, Bergama, Selcuk, Pergamon, Sardis and Ephesus, as part of Royce’s teaching of a Survey of Church History course. Montana freelance photographer Ronnie Ruiz – whose artistry illustrated our Fall 2009 issue on a similar trip to chronicle ACU Study Abroad centers in Oxford, England, and Montevideo, Uruguay – came back from Germany and Turkey with some amazing images for this issue.
Other stories you won’t want to miss:
- Profiles of seven 2010 alumni award winners, headed by John Bailey, D.M.D. (’57), the Outstanding Alumnus of the Year, and Randy Brewer (’93), the Young Alumnus of the Year.
- “Inventing the Future,” a close-up look at the new AT&T Learning Studio at ACU;
- “Freedom Road,” which chronicles the bus journey of 22 students and several faculty members who accompanied them in May 2011 on a trip to important historical sites across the South to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Freedom Riders’ role in the American civil rights movement;
- “Passing the Torch,” a look at how students and faculty in the Department of Teacher Education are helping local schoolchildren and teachers become familiar with mobile learning, including the role of ACU’s new K-12 Digital Learning Institute;
- A preview of Homecoming weekend (Oct. 13-16);
- This issue’s Second Glance essay, “Requiem for an Old Friend: the Prickly Pear” by Dr. Cheryl Mann Bacon (’76).
- and other exciting ACU news, including the latest from your classmates in EXperiences.
Online Bonus Coverage adds another 44 pages to our printed edition, including expansion of several of the major feature stories, and a closer look at Alex Carpenter’s play this spring as an amateur in the PGA Tour’s Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill, and the No. 39 ACU car that ran in a recent NASCAR event at Watkins Glen International, thanks to a generous gift by Randy Hill (’90) Racing.
A special thanks to Jack Maxwell (’78), professor of art and design, for his illustrations of the alumni award winners.
The print edition should be in your mailbox soon, and you can enjoy the expanded online edition here:
[issuu width=420 height=269 backgroundColor=%23222222 documentId=110904213603-4575618d30a0451b98c44877cad472c7 name=acu_today_summer_2011 username=abilenechristian tag=acu unit=px id=063b1b2d-78f9-bd75-c93a-93a911d4e340 v=2]